How to Heat set permanent Inks on cups,coffee mugs and more!
There is nothing like a customized coffee mug or wine glass created perfect for yourself, gifting or selling. We want that fabulous DIY design to last for days to come even after washing.
It's quick and easy with permanent inks and little bit of heat.
Let's get creative!
Here are my steps for DIY inked mugs and cups success!
1. Select your cup or coffee mug. This will be going in the oven so ensure there is no plastic that could melt on it.
2. Wipe off dust/oils with rubbing alcohol (manufacturing-store dust, finger oils)
3. Select your stencil or plan out your free hand painting!
4. If using a silk screen stencil ensure to Fuzz it (remove excess sticky by placing it on a towel or your shirt a few times). These stencils love to stick but they are reuseable so we don't want to ruin them by stretching when removing!
5. Apply your inks. If painting with a paint brush get creative. If using your stencil gently pull across the mesh with your squeegee.
6. Allow to FULLY dry. This is important or it will run in the oven instead of setting. I like to leave it overniht but if it's really humid out you may need more time. I have also used a fan blowing on my design to speed up the drying process
7. Heat set time
Place the cup/glass/mug into the COLD oven. Set the oven to 350F. Allow the cups to warm up along with the oven. .Once to temperature set the timer for 30min. Allow the cups to COOL down along with the oven.
Your ink is now ready for use!
I still recommend gentle hand washing for longest lasting results.
A busy mom of three finding me time, therapy and fun with Chalk Couture and crafting!